Complaints against Regulated Financial or Professional Services firms

This page sets out what you should do if you have a complaint against a regulated financial or professional services firm.

If you have a complaint against the GFSC, click here for more information.

How do I make a complaint?

In the first instance you should contact the firm and raise the complaint directly with them. It is recommended that you put your complaint in writing to ensure that there is a record of the communication between you and the financial or professional services firm.

All firms licensed in Gibraltar by the GFSC are expected to have in place appropriate procedures for complaints handling, which should be designed to ensure that your complaint is appropriately addressed and dealt with in a thorough and prompt manner.

If, following this, you are not satisfied with the response provided by the firm, or believe that you have a case for compensation financially, you must pursue this through the Gibraltar courts. Before doing this, you should consider seeking professional advice at an early stage.

How can the GFSC help me?

You may decide to report your complaint to the GFSC. It is important to be aware that legally it is not the role of the GFSC to resolve disputes between consumers and licensed firms. We are unable to give advice to complainants, or provide arbitration in commercial disputes.

We appreciate that this can be frustrating for you as the complainant. However, reporting your complaint to us is important. It may indicate that there are concerns with the way in which a licensed firm is being managed and it may highlight that a licensee has breached their regulatory requirements.

Depending on the nature of the complaint, the GFSC may decide to conduct an investigation into the firm.

Where we take formal regulatory action, we may publish the outcome on our website.

When you report a complaint to the us, please provide us with as much information as possible so we can understand the nature of your complaint. All complaints should be made in writing, ether by letter, or by email.